Posted by VSN (admin) on Sun, January 1, 2023 – 09:30 AM
Oklahoma City – The No. 25 MACU girls’ basketball team finished the 2022 portion of the season with its biggest win of the season so far, as the Gospels built a huge second-half lead before winning 83-77 inside the Gaulke Events Center Saturday.
- shy christopher – 26 points, 10-15 FG, 2-3 3FG, 4-6 FT, 5 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals
- jesse little – 13 points, 3-8 3FG, 2-2 FT, 4 assists, 3 steals, 2 rebounds
- Anelli Thomson – 10 points, 4-7 FG, 6 Reb
- whitney orton – 7 points, 3-5 FG, 9 Rebs, 2 blocks
- the first season
- Mid-America Christian converted a triple on his first three 3-point attempts with 1:05 left whitney orton, jesse little with shy christopher gave the Evangelists an early 9-5 advantage.
- After a layup by Bailey Albright cut MACU’s lead in half, the Evangels went six straight without a response as two fouls by Littell put the game up 15-7 with 6:26 left.
- Sterling scored seven of the next nine points and came back strong at 4:19 as Taya Wilson made a layup after a steal by Becky Stuckey to make it 17- 14.
- With neither team scoring for the next 1:47, Christopher’s second 3-pointer of the game ignited a 12-6 MACU surge as ashley hopper’s With 51 seconds left in the game, the perimeter offense propelled the Evangels advantage.
- Sterling’s Kasen Schultz made a layup with 5 seconds left to make it 29-22.
- second quarter
- Sterling’s defense kept MACU ahead at 2:38 before a streak of shots by Stuckey and Taya Wilson closed the game 29-26 at 8:21.
- With 6.5 minutes left in the game, Christopher ignited the Evangelists’ offense with a brilliant drive and tackle to the left baseline for a 3-pointer before Little’s steal led to 10 points. Kelly Leveridge A three-goal fast break extended MACU’s advantage to 37-28 with less than six minutes left in the game.
- Sterling scored another five straight points to bring it back to two, but the Warriors were unable to go any further for the rest of the second half as another long-range bomb by Lefrich extended MACU’s advantage in three minutes. Go left at 42-35.
- On the final play of the first half for both teams, Christopher was again strong on the left side, Eurostepping between two defenders before finishing with a left-handed layup that broke the shot clock with 18 seconds left , but the Warriors’ Karsen Schultz called a foul with 1.7 seconds left and made one of two free throws to make it 45-40 at halftime.
- the third quater
- Mid-America Christian started the second half with Sydney Wyckoff Little’s cricket and quick exit led to another fast-break 3-pointer in MACU’s first possession, but the Warriors took five of their next six games to tie it at 49- 45. Less than 8 minutes left in the game.
- After Bailey Albright scored in the paint at 6:37, Anelli Thomson With Evangels scoring 11 of the next 13 points, a mid-range jumper from the right elbow ignited the MACU run, and a 3-pointer from Leverich from the left corner ended in the press break to extend MACU’s advantage to 3. 64-49: 23 left.
- Sterling scored on the next seven plays to cut the deficit to 64-56 with less than a minute left, but Thomson got MACU back to momentum in the fourth quarter with a shot from the left corner after the press break. Another three-pointer chased the score to 67-56 and entered the final period.
- fourth quarter
- The Evangelists’ defense pinned down Sterling to start the fourth quarter as the Warriors trailed by just two through the first 3:20 and back-to-back shots from Orton and Christopher put MACU’s lead at 6:46. The advantage extended to the 74-58 mark.
- Although Albright’s 3-pointer helped end the ensuing possession depletion, MACU took the biggest lead of the game after a Christopher steal and a strong fast break finish at the rim before Wyckoff rallied to 4 Two layups: 79-61 with 17 minutes left.
- Sterling fired from beyond the arc in the final four minutes and the Warriors consumed four 3-pointers in a 14-2 run as Kali Blair scored from downtown with 1:07 left, Two rounds to bring the score back to 81-75.
- Rear ashley hopper Trading scores with Schultz to keep the score at 6, Wycoff made one of the most important plays of the game on MACU’s final possession as she drove down an offensive rebound on a Littell turnover while Evangels The dribble blocked the ball for an 83-77 win.
- Central American Christian had his best shooting performance of the season in the win, with the Evangelists hitting a season high with 31-of-62 shooting (50 percent) and also going 10-for-22 (45.5 points) season-best percentage) from 3-point range. Sterling also shot well, despite being underwhelming in the failed effort, shooting 30-for-70 (42.9%), while also shooting 8-for-23 (34.8%) in downtown, including 5-for-7 (71.4%). ) in the fourth quarter.
- While both teams shot well, both MACU and Sterling struggled in the charity streak, as the Warriors finished the game with 9-for-15 shooting (60 percent) while MACU converted just 11-for-20 ( 55%).
- The two teams played relatively evenly on the floor, with MACU maintaining a 43-42 advantage on the boards, while both teams struggled with the ball, with 20 turnovers and 17 possessions each. assists.
- shy christopher The redshirt second-year guard had her second 20-point performance in the last three games, scoring a career-high 26 points on 10-for-15 shooting, including a team-high 2-for-3 from 3-point range. Five assists along with four rebounds and two steals.
- although jesse little After a poor performance on the field, shooting just 4 of 14, the junior guard shot well from beyond the arc, finishing with 13 points on 3 of 8 shots, 4 assists and a team-high 3 steals.
- Anelli Thomson MACU’s double-digit scorer finished the game with 10 points on 4-of-7 shooting and six rebounds.
- Kelly Leveridge She finished with nine points on 3-of-3 shooting from beyond the arc while hitting four corners and pulling down three rebounds, nearly breaking double digits.
- whitney orton Leading the MACU with 9 rebounds and 7 points on 3-of-5 shooting and two blocks. Sydney Wyckoff Also had a great game with 7 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists.
- Mid-America Christian’s win over Sterling was the first of the season against an NAIA top 25 team. MACU had its final Big 25 win against No. 9 Wayland Baptist (Texas) last season on Jan. 20 inside the Gaulke Events Center.
- The Evangelists also have a three-game winning streak against Sterling since the 2012-13 season, their first win over the Warriors at home.
- Mid-America Christian will be looking to keep the momentum going in their first game of 2023, as the Evangels travel to Fort Worth, Texas, on Monday, Jan. 2, to take on Sooner Athletic Conference leader Texas Wesleyan. Tip-off is scheduled for 6pm at the Sid Richardson Center.
Mid-America Christian University Sterling College Women’s Basketball Kansas University Athletic Conference Soon Athletic Conference Game Results